Does your home show signs of mold infestation?
Mold is a common word that describes various fungi species that exist naturally in the environment.
Irrespective of the species, it is important to clean mold and handle the humidity problem or underlying water issue causing the mold to avoid potential health problems.
The home is where you spend time with family, loved ones, and friends. For most people the home is also the place where the most time is spent so it’s important to make sure it’s not causing issues especially since mold can be difficult to identify right away.
It is important you examine your home for mold issues, especially during winter or other cold climate in Canada. Numerous people actually reside in a mold-infested home but don't realize it.
Unfortunately, most ignore the warning signs until the problem starts affecting their health. Therefore, it's important you recognize these signs during Spring cleaning.
You can often identify mold from its odor. When confined to an area of your home, you may detect an unpleasant smell when you're in that location.
Keep in mind that mold can at times live within your walls or wallpaper. Therefore, you might not associate the smell with mold immediately.
Mold is often black or greenish, but it’s usually distinguishable from everyday stains or from soap scum in the bathtub or shower stall.
Mold usually thrives in damp areas and frequently occurs where water has destroyed furniture and building materials from plumbing leaks or flooding.
Although basements and shower stalls are common, moist areas prone to mold growth, any moist area could harbor these species.
You want to check any area that may have potential water issues like the bathroom and kitchen, but you will want to look in all basement areas or outside areas where water may seep into your home.
Other areas that could reveal mold infestation include ceiling tiles, roofing, paneling, and ductwork.
Outdoor mold can enter your home through open windows, vents, and doors so you might have to check nearby outbuildings or other outdoor structures that may have mold issues affecting you inside your home.
It can be hard determining whether you have issues especially since mold isn't always visible. It's impossible to predict the extent of severity of the medical risks linked to household mold. Allergic people differ in their susceptibility and the risk may vary depending on the type and extent of mold.
Nevertheless, if you experience congestion and watery eyes, these could be indicative of mold presence. It's not uncommon for you to feel better whenever you're out shopping or at work only for your medical problems to arise once you get home.
While most molds are harmless to healthy persons, if you're allergic or asthmatic, you may be more sensitive to these fungi species. Sensitive persons may experience skin rash, eye irritation, nasal congestion, or difficulty breathing.
If you have a suppressed immune or underlying lung illness, you face an increased likelihood of infections. Some molds generate toxins termed mycotoxins, which may result in toxic effects including headaches when exposed to elevated levels.
The best way to protect your family, yourself, and home is mold prevention. When it comes to mold infestation, there's no alternative to preventative measures.
• Maintain and use ventilation systems in the bathroom
• Use both de-humidifiers and air conditioners
• Examine all entrances for leaks, odors, and stains
• Avoid installing a carpet in wet areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and basements
• Open doors and windows to increase your home's airflow
• Examine around your windows for signs of water droplets and condensation. Ensure you wipe them immediately to avoid mold growth
Identifying the sources of mold development is the initial step in handling the situation. Springtime is a great time to check for mold. You’re cleaning and organizing already so giving your home a good exam makes sense.
Once you comprehend the risks mold pose to your property and family, you can take control.
If you need assistance with mold please contact us to discuss how we can help: (414) 414-5690
Using biocides or bleach to kill mould does not have any advantages. Dead mould is just as toxic as mould that is alive. Cleaning or removing mould without protecting the rest of the building or unaffected areas can in some cases spread the mould contamination. In some cases the mould becomes harder and more expensive to clean up. Some mould inspection companies lack the equipment or experience to properly assess you mould issue. They are cheaper...but are they worth it?