When was the last time you checked these items for mold? Perhaps it's time you did.
Mold pollution is a major component of indoor contamination that few individuals understand. Along with apparent spots such as damp basements and shower stalls, there can be numerous hidden mold sources in your home.
What numerous people don't recognize is that the fungus can seriously affect their health depending on factors such as the types of mold, the degree of their exposure, and existing allergies or sensitivities.
Bear in mind that the fungus can find its way in some surprising places, so check these items during your next cleaning routine.
1. Coffee Maker
You might look at your coffee and think it's impossible for mold to exist in your beverage perhaps because your kitchen is "clean." However, research indicates otherwise. Experts reveal that the kitchen has a very high concentration of germs and the coffee maker is among the dirtiest household item.
You might wonder how such a common appliance could possibly carry bacteria beyond your knowledge. You'll learn that the body's resistance to the germs prevent you from recognizing that you're ingesting potentially dangerous substances.
Numerous people think that the hot water that runs in the appliance is enough to destroy any kitchen infection. People further assume that coffee's natural antibacterial features are enough for warding off bacteria and mold.
Unfortunately, neither of these is entirely true. For water to destroy bacterial microorganisms, or potentially mold, it must surpass boiling temperature, which coffee makers never attain. Furthermore, the coffee's antibacterial feature can only eradicate approximately half the germs in the filter and pot.
In fact, it's the moist conditions arising from the heated water that makes the pot a breeding ground for bacteria and mold. At this point, if you aren't cleaning the appliance regularly, you should.
To prevent mold growth, it's important you leave the top open, enabling the entry of air into the chamber. This helps dry out the additional water. Typical coffee makers are prone to various problems that could affect the coffee taste, so ensure you clean your appliance thoroughly.
2. Garbage Disposals
Although the garbage disposal is supposed to eliminate and pulverize kitchen waste from food items, particles are frequently trapped in the drainpipe and the disposal. This offers the ideal environment for bacteria and mold, creating unpleasant odors and unhealthy spores.
Initially, the odors may be unnoticeable. However, given sufficient time and lack of cleaning, the odors may get stronger as the mold and bacteria growth persists.
Cleaning your disposal weekly will help prevent unsightly mold and nasty bacteria. It is particularly advisable you clean the disposal before leaving the house for a couple of days.
Having food, debris, and sludge sitting in an unused disposal is the perfect environment for odor-causing bacteria. Nevertheless, you can clean or keep the household appliance smelling fresh with these methods:
Mix a gallon of water with a tablespoon of chlorine bleach in a clean container. Pour the mixture down the drain, permitting it to settle for numerous minutes.
Flush the drain with water for numerous minutes. Ensure you don't use excess bleach in your mixture. Although bleach kills germs, it will harden any grease in the drains.
After clearing and cleaning the appliance, you can freshen up the sink using citrus peels. The citric acid will deodorize the disposer, leaving your kitchen smelling fresh.
The dishwasher cleans itself each time you use it, so you probably don't expect it to be a spot for mold, bacteria and mildew. However, it is.
Certain kinds of fungi grow on food that accumulates in crevices and others form on areas including the drain seal and gasket, which are ideal for mold growth. Nevertheless, you can scrub the mold or use vinegar as a disinfectant.
Are you suspecting mold infestation in your household? Perhaps you should examine these common household items as the sources.
Are you struggling with mold growth? Please contact us and we'll provide a solution: (416) 414-5690
Using biocides or bleach to kill mould does not have any advantages. Dead mould is just as toxic as mould that is alive. Cleaning or removing mould without protecting the rest of the building or unaffected areas can in some cases spread the mould contamination. In some cases the mould becomes harder and more expensive to clean up. Some mould inspection companies lack the equipment or experience to properly assess you mould issue. They are cheaper...but are they worth it?